
I didn't take any pictures of the guards this time - although they still seemed just as pointless in terms of guarding, they didn't seem quite so bored as there were a LOT of tourists who wanted photos with them.
Some of the statues and water features around the grounds didn't seem to be in the best of repair, but in some ways I thought these had more character than those that were.

It was really nice to be in a country where I had some chance of understanding what was going on around me. It's not that I can speak German, exactly, and hanging around with V. meant that I could rely on her to do any necessary talking (to other people, I mean), but both she and I were surprised by how much I managed to understand.
After the schloss, V. and I headed to the Naschmarkt to buy food for the next few days (including absolutely fantastic ravioli). As we walked from the S-bahn to the Naschmarkt, it started pouring down (yes, only a couple of hours after the brilliant blue skies you can see in the first photograph). So once we'd done our shopping, we found a cafe and just hung out there until it was time to head to where we were staying that night.
The next morning we headed to Semmering in the "Vienna Alps", where V. was working at the time. The views in this area are absolutely spectacular.

You almost feel like you can fly.
No comments:
Post a Comment